Tuesday 9 February 2010

Flickr

Well, it was fairly simple to sign up to Flickr. So that was good.

Uploading was relatively quick and simple, and then all the pictures showed up in a nice list. I liked the functions to batch add them to a set or to add tags to all of them, very neat.

I very soon hit the monthly limit of uploads. Which is annoying, now I have to either wait 3 weeks or pay them money before adding more pictures... At least Feb is a nice short month!

Joining the 23 Things flickr group was also easy, and they responded very quickly (thank you!)

The Creative Commons and Map View features are nice. I've changed my settings so all photos uploaded now have a very open Creative Commons license- changing them individually was a bit of a slog.

So... Overall thoughts? I like Flickr. It seems better than Facebook for some types of photosharing- it's more public and people can see photos at larger sizes. Facebook is probably still best for photos of parties with friends, but Flickr seems to be the place to share pretty images. Oxford in the snow, cute kittens, impressive sight-seeing, all those sorts of pictures would probably be best put in Flickr not Facebook. It seems I've been guilty of the Cardinal Sin of Web 2.0, using the Wrong Tool For The Task.

Yep, I'm converted! But I'm wavering between voting "yay!" and "meh?" because I do still have a major niggle with the monthly limit. Sooooo... Is it worth paying the $24.95 for the 1 year pro account?

1 comment:

  1. I pay for the pro account but I am fairly serious about photography and treat flickr as my online portfolio. I love the freedom that comes with a pro account and that fact it makees me feel more like a serious photographer. Worth it for me but thats because I know I won't be forgetting my camera or flickr anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete